A very large amount of human suffering and frustration is caused by the fact that many men and women are not content to be the sort of beings that God has made them, but try to persuade themselves that they are really beings of some different kind.
Lecturer in Philosophy of Religion,
Christ Church, Oxford
Do all the good you can, by all means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can.
The earth laughs in flowers.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
What about the paradox of faith and reason? Are they mutually exclusive? Absolutely not. God has put enough into this world to make faith in Him a most reasonable stance, but He has left enough out to make it impossible to live by reason alone.
Superficiality is the curse of our age. The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people.
Celebration of Discipline
It is not vanity to imagine ourselves in some heroic or glorious role, if we also keep our feet planted firmly in reality. Somewhere within each humble or misguided person lies the capacity to find the true path and to accomplish feats of heroism. We may never find that buried capacity if we do not first savor it in our imagination.
Phillip E. Johnson
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.
The cross of Christ means that the salvation of God goes deeper down than the deepest depths of iniquity man can commit. No person can get beyond the reach of Jesus; He made a way back to the throne of God from the very heart of hell by His tremendous atonement.
It is Finished
With us, there is a saying, La esperanza muere ultima. Hope dies last. You can’t lose hope. If you lose hope, you lose everything.
Jessie de la Cruz
Retired migrant farm worker, quoted in
Studs Terkel, Hope Dies Last: Keeping the
Faith in Troubled Times
Thank God for church ladies with typewriters. These sentences actually appeared in church bulletins or were announced in church services:
• Bertha Belch, a missionary from Africa, will be speaking tonight at Calvary Methodist. Come hear Bertha Belch all the way from Africa.
• The Fasting & Prayer Conference includes meals.
• The sermon this morning: "Jesus Walks on the Water." The sermon tonight: "Searching for Jesus."
• The peacemaking meeting scheduled for today has been canceled due to a conflict.
• Miss Charlene Mason sang "I will not pass this way again," giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.
• A bean supper will be held on Tuesday evening in the church hall. Music will follow.
• Potluck supper Sunday at 5:00 PM - prayer and medication to follow.
• This evening at 7 PM there will be a hymn singing in the park across from the Church. Bring a blanket and come prepared to sin.
• Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM. Please use the back door.