David Torrance served for 36 years in parish ministry in the Church of Scotland; he is the brother of theologians Thomas and James Torrance. He helped edit the English edition of Calvin's New Testament commentaries, and is a co-author of A Passion for Christ: Vision That Ignites Ministry. His website is at www.livebyfaith.org.uk. For a transcript of all five YI interviews, click here.
Perhaps you know of someone who might like to watch this program. If so, go to the bottom of the page and click on "Email this page." Fill out the short form, and share the good news! There's also a way to share the page on Facebook, Twitter, and other websites.
If you'd like to support this ministry, click here.
If you are interested in learning more about Trinitarian theology, check out Grace Communion Seminary. It's accredited, affordable, and 100 percent online.
For an edited transcript of our interviews with David Torrance, click here.
Small group discussion guide
Discussion groups might wish to prepare their own topics, request topics from the group, use the following suggested topics, or mix and match all three.
1. Why do you think translators “alter” the Greek prepositions in verses such as Galatians 2:20?
2. Please share your thoughts on the statement, “Salvation is entirely of God and not of us.”
3. What is your perception of Christ as our response to God?
4. How do you understand belief as being required of us, but that it is also a gift of grace?
5. What do you think of the assertion that Jesus is the representative human for each of us?
6. Please give us your impressions of our “dying and rising” in Christ.
7. How do you see, “To receive God’s forgiveness means that we must share it with others”?
8. Forgiveness was described as a “gift of God,” “real grace,” and “healing.” Please comment.
A few simple guidelines for leading a discussion: 1) Encourage open discussion. 2) Ask questions relevant to the topic. 3) Listen attentively. 4) Encourage divergent views. 5) Encourage everyone to participate. 6) Summarize and paraphrase. 7) Minimize teaching and preaching.
The faith of Christ
MM: You’ve been a parish minister for many years, and you’ve seen God’s grace being given to people in the parish, and you see how people respond to that with faith. I’d like to ask you about what faith is.