Daniel Thimell received his doctorate from the University of Aberdeen in Scotland. He is associate professor of theological-historical studies at Oral Roberts University. He is the author of God, Grace, and the Gospel, and co-editor of Christ in Our Place: The Humanity of God in Christ for the Reconciliation of the World. For an edited transcript of all four of his interviews with us, click here.
Perhaps you know of someone who might like to watch this program. If so, go to the bottom of the page and click on "Email this page." Fill out the short form, and share the good news! There's also a way to share the page on Facebook, Twitter, and other websites.
If you'd like to support this ministry, click here.
If you are interested in learning more about Trinitarian theology, check out Grace Communion Seminary. It's accredited, affordable, and 100 percent online.
Small group discussion guide
Discussion groups might wish to prepare their own topics, request topics from the group, use the following suggested topics, or mix and match all three.
1. How does the Trinity help us to see Jesus, not as an emissary, but as God himself?
2. In what ways does the Trinity doctrine enhance our understanding that God is love?
3. Please share with us how an awareness of the Trinity has made God more personal to you.
4. “We’re already included; repentance and faith are gifts of grace.” Please comment.
5. How do you understand, “We’re already reconciled but called to believe”?
6. What is your impression--is repentance a condition of grace, or a response to grace?
7. Do you agree that, “When bad things happen, God is working for our good?” Why?
8. Dr. Thimell said, “God is closer to us than the air we breathe.” Please share your thoughts.
A few simple guidelines for leading a discussion: 1) Encourage open discussion. 2) Ask questions relevant to the topic. 3) Listen attentively. 4) Encourage divergent views. 5) Encourage everyone to participate. 6) Summarize and paraphrase. 7) Minimize teaching and preaching.
J. Michael Feazell: Welcome to You’re Included, the unique interview series devoted to practical implications of Trinitarian theology. We’re talking today with Dr. Daniel Thimell, Associate Professor of Theological and Historical Studies at Oral Roberts University. Dr. Thimell earned his Ph.D. from the University of Aberdeen in 1993. He has 30 years of pastoral experience and he has taught at Trinity College in Bristol, England, and the University of Aberdeen in Scotland.