Dr. Steve McVey is founder of GraceWalk Ministries. He is the author of Grace Walk, Grace Rules, Grace Amazing, The Godward Gaze, A Divine Invitation, Walking in the Will of God, The Grace Walk Experience, Beyond an Angry God, The Secret of Grace, Anchored and 52 Lies Heard in Church Every Sunday. For a PDF file of five YI interviews, click here.
Perhaps you know of someone who might like to watch this program. If so, go to the bottom of the page and click on "Email this page." Fill out the short form, and share the good news! There's also a way to share the page on Facebook, Twitter, and other websites.
If you'd like to support this ministry, click here.
If you are interested in learning more about Trinitarian theology, check out Grace Communion Seminary. It's accredited, affordable, and 100 percent online.
Small group discussion guide
Discussion groups might wish to prepare their own topics, request topics from the group, use the following suggested topics, or mix and match all three.
1. Why do you think people assume there is a split between the love and wrath of God?
2. Steve said that everything about God must be understood through the lens of his love. Why?
3. How do you understand, “The wrath of God is an expression of God’s love”?
4. Please comment on Steve’s discussion of the various usages of the biblical word “wrath.”
5. What did you think of the claim that people hate God’s “wrath” unless it is perceived as love?
6. Why is it critical to differentiate between love as an attribute of God and God being love?
7. Please share with us your impressions of Steve’s analogy of the “sin house.”
8. Please comment on the statement, “Grace makes you want to glorify God and say no to sin.”
A few simple guidelines for leading a discussion: 1) Encourage open discussion. 2) Ask questions relevant to the topic. 3) Listen attentively. 4) Encourage divergent views. 5) Encourage everyone to participate. 6) Summarize and paraphrase. 7) Minimize teaching and preaching.
Mike Morrison: Steve, I’m really glad that you could come back again and have another discussion.
Steve McVey: Thanks Mike, I’m glad to be back. I’ve enjoyed this time, these programs with you.
MM: You talked before about the love of God, and I agree with you on that, but I wanted to ask you about the other side. Scripture talks about the wrath of God as well. How does this fit in with a God who is love?