This is part two of a three-part curriculum that helps pastors, ministry leaders and church workers grow in their participation in ministry with Jesus.
Participating in ministry with Jesus has three key aspects: the minister's spiritual formation (click here), their sharing in Jesus' disciplemaking strategy (click here), and their ministry competency (unpacked below).
Ministry competency is about applying knowledge and skills towards achieving a desired result. In the case of Jesus' ongoing kingdom mission, it's about competency related to multiplying disciplemaking followers of Jesus. For tools that help ministers grow in disciplemaking ministry competency, follow these links:
- Competency in seeking the lost
- Competency in nurturing believers
- Competency in equipping workers
- Competency in multiplying leaders, ministries & churches
Note that our recommendations are not endorsements of the full content of the resources referenced. Also, note these tips for using this competency material appropriately:
- What is provided here involves principles to be applied, not laws to be obeyed.
- Take it step by step. Growth in ministry competency takes time.
- Use this material flexibly to fit the gifting and ministry context of the developing minister and the coaches and mentors who assist them.
- While measuring growth in competency is important, it must be done with tact, mercy and an eye toward providing encouragement.
- Growth in competency involves more than mere 'head knowledge'. Opportunity for ‘hands on’ application is vital and often precedes depth of knowledge.