Ministry competency is about appropriately applying knowledge and skills towards achieving a desired result. In the case of Jesus’ ongoing kingdom mission, it’s about competency related to multiplying disciplemaking followers of Jesus, “the people of the kingdom” (Mat. 13:38). For help in equipping people to share in Jesus’ ministry competency, follow these links:
- Competency in seeking the lost
- Competency in nurturing believers
- Competency in equipping workers
- Competency in multiplying leaders, ministries & churches
Each of these pages explores three aspects of ministry competency:
- Essential knowledge: what a follower of Jesus needs to know to be competent in the pattern of Jesus’ ministry being addressed.
- Essential skills: what they need to be able to do to be competent.
- Equipping toolbox: resources that are useful in helping the disciple grow in competency in the ministry pattern being addressed.
Note: toolbox recommendations are not endorsements of the full content of the referenced resource. Also, note these tips for using this competency material:
- It provides principles and resources to be applied, not laws to be obeyed.
- Take it step by step. Growth in ministry competency takes time.
- Use this material flexibly to fit the gifting and ministry context of the developing minister and the coaches and mentors who assist them.
- While measuring growth in competency is important, it must be done with tact, mercy and an eye toward providing encouragement.
- Growth in competency involves more than mere ‘head knowledge’. Opportunity for ‘hands on’ application is vital and often precedes depth of knowledge.